Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese New Year's Day - Year of the Rabbit

On Chinese New Year Day I took off from work and spent the day with Calvin. I got him dressed in a red outfit for the new year with a white tiger to say goodbye to the year of the tiger. And I gave him his first red envelopes of the year from me and Phil. He had no idea what they were but he was super happy to get them anyway.



He even tried to take a peek inside...



In the evening Phil and I headed over to my sister's house for dinner . I hadn't seen my neice in so long - she got so big! Well, still not as big as Calvin but big for her ^__^



While dinner was being prepared Calvin spent some time with daddy learning how to use a cell phone. I'm not sure what it is about babies and electronics...must be all of the buttons and flashy screens.


Calvin even got to spend some time hanging out with his cousin, Maddy. I think they were both staring in confusion as my mom was jumping around the room trying to make both of them smile.


When it was time for dinner we had some Chinese food from a restaurant in chinatown. My mom had ordered Peking Duck - greasy as always but oh so yummy.


There was also Chinese broccoli, Abalone, roasted chicken with preserved cabbage, fried squid/scallop, tofu, and baked chile sea bass with minced pork.



The whole family - all the adults at least.



And of course we can't forget dessert. Of course when you ask Phil to buy dessert he's going to buy twice as much as you actually need. We tried some new desserts from Wegman's - a peanut butter chocolate mousse pie and the key lime pie. The peanut butter pie was a little heavy, but the key lime pie was really good.



After dessert the babies got their red envelopes from Grandma.


Maddy needed a little more help taking hers. She didn't really seem interested.


And, even though it's not really tradition, the babies got to exchange red envelopes with each other.

No comments: