Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dim Sum & Taiwanese Shaved Ice

Calvin woke up with the craziest bed head in the morning. And he was wearing his cute batman outfit that his Auntie Mandy got for him. I think he has worn an outfit for almost every superhero already.



This weekend we went into Flushing, NY to have dim sum with Phil's godmother. Its been a while since she last saw Calvin. Calvin is starting to outgrow his stranger anxiety and he's not afraid of grandpa anymore! That made grandpa very happy.



Calvin with grandma and Phil's godmother.


Father and son, in matching colors too, which was not planned. I dressed Calvin before I even saw what Phil was wearing. When I used to see that with other parents and kids I used to think "how do you end up wearing the same colors and not plan it", but I guess now I know!

Somehow whenever we got out Calvin always ends up on daddy's shoulders. I think Phil uses it as a distraction when Calvin starts getting fussy because he enjoys it so much.

And no surprise, here he is again on daddy's shoulders in the park at the Hester Street fair.


While we were at the Hester Street fair we saw a little puppy (I think it was a pug?). I thought for suer Calvin would be scared since he's usually scared of everything...


But, surprisingly, he was super excited and kept trying to pet the puppy.

Even though we had so much food at dim sum, Phil still ordered food. He stopped at the pulled pork stand for a pulled pork sandwich.



I thought it was good, although Phil swears it was bigger and cost less last year...


Lucia stopped by the La Newyorkina for another one of their tasty popsicles.




There was a new stand that wasn't there last year selling Taiwanese shaved ice. I was so excited. Its been so long since I've been back to Taiwan and I miss their food so much. I started talking to one of the ladies that worked at the stand, but it turns out their actually Cantonese and not Taiwanese. They were inspired by the Taiwanese shaved ice. I guess that explains some of the weird toppings - corn flakes and fruity pebbles...



Even though I was bummed that they weren't actually Taiwanese, the shaved ice was pretty good. I got it with the jelly, strawberries and mango ice cream, and they covered it with condensed milk.
Lucia made a cheesecake brownie for Phil for Father's Day. I never would have thought to put brownies and cheesecake together, but it was very tasty!



On our way back to the car before heading home we stopped by a smoothie place near Lucia's apartment. Apparently this place has been there for a while, but we just never noticed it. Not that we hadn't eaten enough between dim sum and the Hester Street fair, but it's hard to turn down a fresh fruit smoothie. And this place actually used mostly fresh ingredients. We tried the mango and lychee smoothie. I think we forgot to stir it because in the beginning it tasted like all lychee and the bottom was all mango, but it was still good anyway and way cheaper than most smoothie places. Sorry Calvin, no smoothie for you...


2 comments:

Le Chan said...

Theresa, you gotta see this: http://crappypictures.typepad.com/

T said...

I can't wait! Phil thinks that Calvin will be too lazy - he'll just sit back and wait for you to do it for him. I guess we'll see!