Wednesday, July 23, 2008

BBQs with the Families

This past weekend we spent the whole weekend attending family BBQs. Saturday was a lunch BBQ that we attended with my mom at my cousin William's house in Princeton. My other cousin, Peter, came with his wife and 3 girls as well. We spent most of our time playing with the kids while William BBQ'd some corn, ribs, and some other kind of meat...possibly steak?

Here's a picture of my mom with Peter's daughter, Sarah. If your cousin has children are they considered cousins too? Or are they 2nd cousins? Or cousins once removed?...I have this discussion with my cousins all the time, but we've never quite figured it out...

Anyway, here are all 3 of Peter's girls: Leah, Sarah and Phoebe. Sarah and Phoebe are twins.

Here are the guys (minus Peter): William, his son Joseph, and Phil.
Me and baby Leah...Peter seemed shocked that she let me hold her since she doesn't take kindly to strangers, but she seemed OK with my sister last time they got together. I think it's just because we're family. ^__^
Phil was very popular with the kids. Here he is playing Wii bowling with Joseph.
And here he is again playing Sorry with the girls.

I even grabbed a nice video of everyone playing together. Somehow kids find it amusing tormenting Phil. They've all hung out together before at the Lin family reunion at Hershey Park last year, but when we first arrived for the BBQ and I asked the girls if they remembered Phil they said no. Well, I can say that they definitely remembered him by the end of the afternoon. Check out Phil's strategy for handling kids: http://www.youtube.com/v/2KDAyTwskgc
~
After hanging out with my family in NJ on Saturday, we spent Sunday in NY.
First we went to see a matinee of the Dark Knight. I don't want to give anything away, but it was really good. Phil wasn't as "wow"ed by this one as he was with Batman Begins, but I think it's just because the movie made him think too much with all the details and plot twists. It was a really long movie, but well worth it.
~
Afterwards we spent the rest of the day at Phil's parents' for their summer BBQ. It was mostly his mom's side of the family, with a few relatives from his dad's side, and a bunch of friends of the family. My mom was at our temple in Flushing and needed a ride home, so we picked her up and brought her back to the BBQ to meet Phil's extended family, see the house, and of course eat. The house was packed - most of the "kids" were upstairs playing games and eating, and the parents ("elders") were downstairs chatting and eating. And people were lined up in the garage to grab food from the grill. Can you tell there was a lot of eating going on?
~
I slacked a little on the pictures Sunday, which stinks because Phil's dad does a good BBQ so I wish I had picutres. But just to give you an idea, they were planning for around 50 people, so they bought $200 worth of meat alone. They had shish kabobs, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, cow tail, sweet seasame soup, watermelon...yum yum.

No comments: