Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Cappella Quarterfinals at Rutgers University

After spending the morning/afternoon in the city we made the drive home and met up with my sister and brother-in-law for dinner at a restaurant called Main Street Trattoria. It's a little Italian restaurant in our town's downtown main street.

I had the Bowtie pasta with fresh pesto cream and pinenuts. Phil's not really a fan of pinenuts so he didn't think it was that good, but I thought it was delicious.


Phil ordered the Chili Rubbed Pork Loin.


And my sister ordered a Mozzarella Salad.



After dinner Phil headed home and I hopped in the car with Mandy and Tam to check out an A Cappella contest at Rutgers University. A Cappella is basically a vocal singing group that sings without any instruments. There are a lot of college a cappella groups that sing anything from 80s to current rock or pop music. There's a contest called the ICCA (International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella) that holds a competition for college a cappella groups across the states that was holding one of its quarterfinals at Rutgers University.

Some of the groups were really good. The hosts, Deep Treble from Rutgers U., were my favorite, but unfortunately they weren't competing. The winners of the competition ended up being a co-ed group called the Orphan Sporks, also from Rutgers U. Second place went to a group called the Melismatics from Lehigh U., and third place went to the Trentones from Trenton, NJ (picture below).


If you've never heard a cappella I definitely recommend it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a fan of a cappella. Lydia and I went to the ICCA Finals a few years ago at Lincoln Center. I love seeing/hearing different groups and their take on music. Glad to know you're a fan, too!