Monday, July 12, 2010

Hospital "Trial Run"

We had a surprise trip to the hospital on Saturday. I had called my OB about something, but he was away on vacation, so the on-call doctor told me to go into the hospital so they could check me up just in case since he didn't have any of my charts or info. So, Phil and I went into the hospital thinking we would be in and out that day (or at least as "in and out" as you can when dealing with hospitals...). This was my first time ever being admitted into a hospital. Even though I felt fine I guess it's hard not to look sad and helpless when you're lying in a hospital bed.


After being monitored by the doctors and nurses they found out I was having contractions every 5-6 minutes! I didn't even realize I was having contractions until they told me...So, our "quick" trip to the hospital ended up as a 3-day stay in the hospital while they continued to monitor me and make sure I didn't go into labor early. On the plus side they kept me pretty well fed - who knew hospitals had such an extensive menu of food to choose from? It is still just hospital food, so nothing super tasty, but still it's nice that they give you options...Dinner is served!


They even gave me these weird leg things that basically alternate inflating and deflating around your legs. The nurse said it was supposed to help with my blood circulation so I wouldn't swell with all the lying down.


Although it seems like the baby might be trying to break out early, everything seems to be OK for now, thankfully. Hopefully we can convince him to stay in there a bit longer.
Definitely not how we planned on spending our weekend, but I guess we should get used to unexpected changes in plans once the baby comes along...

No comments: