Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mandy's Baby Shower

For Mandy's baby shower I had originally just made one present, but after the crazy baby shower she threw me and the diaper tricycle I had to up the ante. This was my original present. It was a baby flower basket. For the basket part I used the Puj Tub, which is basically a foamy flat material that snaps together so you can fit it inside a sink to wash the baby in. Inside is a bunch of diapers rolled to look like roses, plus some cute girlie baby clothes also rolled up to look like flowers. Add some wash cloths and diapers in the back for butterflies, a couple hangy stroller toys and a butterfly Winnie the Pooh and you get a baby flower basket! ^__~


The second thing I ended up putting together was wash cloth cupcakes that spelled out the baby's name - Madeline. Mandy needed a new muffin tin anyway.


And the final piece was the diaper carriage. I got the idea for this one from online. Diaper wheels topped with more diapers, receiving blankets and a onesie. It didn't end up looking exactly like the one I saw online, but I did the best I could without instructions.

The onesie says "If you think I'm cute, you should see my mommy." ^__~


Mom and I helped Mandy's friends, Nicole and Linda, plan the baby shower. The location was at a place called Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge. They had a room for small parties in the back. The setup was really nice. mom even bought some flowers for the center piece on each table.


Instead of having fancy favors for everyone we prepared a chocolate covered pretzel and made a donation to LiveStrong for the walk that Mandy is doing the following weekend.


There was even an outside patio where we were able to setup all the baby shower games. Mandy seemed happy with how everything turned out when she arrived.


Some of the baby games/activities we setup included a baby picture game. Everyone was supposed to bring a baby picture and guess who is who. Unfortunately most people forgot their baby pictures, but we still played anyway.


We also had a guess that nursery rhyme game. I had picked out the lines for that game, but I guess it was harder than I thought it was. I ended up having to sing a lot of the nursery rhymes at the end. But I guess it's good practice for when baby Calvin arrives. ^__^


We also had some bibs and onesies for people to decorate.


There were some cute onesies. One of my favorites was the "Got Pho?".


Some of the other games we played involved guessing candy bar names that corresponded with different things during pregnancy, and guessing the size of Mandy's belly.
Here we are with the mommy-to-be! (Linda, Nicole, Mandy, and me) I guess technically there's 2 mommys-to-be, but I already had my day.


Mommy spent a lot of the time chatting away with Tam's mom and some of his other relatives. So young to be grandma's!


The food was a southern style buffet - cornbread, fried chicken, bacon-wrapped meatloaf (that's right! Mandy was especially excited about that one), mac and cheese, beans, the whole nine yards. You don't have to tell the 2 pregnant ladies to dig in, we're way ahead of you! ^__~


We tried to have a Paris/Madeline theme for the baby shower, since Mandy decided to name the baby Madeline. So we even had an eiffel tower wall decal and a Madeline themed carrot cake for dessert. They did an awesome job with the cake! Too bad it didn't taste as good as it looked.




While everyone had some cake Mandy got to work opening presents. Check out the classy diaper cake! That one was from Tam's cousin, who just had a baby last month. When she had time to make a diaper cake while taking care of a newborn I have no idea...


Mandy knows some extremely crafty people. Can you believe this cute dress was handmade?


As was this baby blanket. It was crocheted by Tam's new sister-in-law. She had just gotten married the weekend before, and still managed to find time to make this blanket. It has a square with each letter of the alphabet - how cute is that?


My mom brought one of Mandy's old dresses from when she was younger. Somehow I don't think Calvin would be able to wear any of my old baby clothes...


There were a lot of presents to open and we almost didn't make it out of the room in time for the next party, but we were able to wrap everything up in the end and get all the presents packed into the cars to go back to Mandy's house. Overall I think the shower was pretty successful. And of course I had to get a sister shot with Mandy outside the Olde Mill Inn (with baby Calvin and Madeline of course).

No comments: