Thursday, September 15, 2011

Japan - Day 6 (Ashima)

On my last full night in Japan 2 of my coworkers, Kaori and Sharon, took me out to dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant called Ashima, which is also not too far from the office. This restaurant is a mushroom hot pot. Definitely the first mushroom hot pot I'd ever heard of.



I had to take another picture with my "twin". I actually think we kind of look alike in this picture...Even my own mom says she can kind of see the resemblence, so I guess it must be true.



The restaurant was pretty empty. There was only one other table in there aside from us. I thought the food was really good though. We ordered a bunch of dishes to share. Even though their speciality was mushroom hot pot it was a little too warm for hot pot, so we ordered some of their other food. We had a Vietnamese-style omelet with shrimp and a spicy sweet sauce.



Vietnamese egg rolls.


Mushroom pho.



Soft shell crab



A cold chicken and green papaya salad.



As we were paying the bill at the cash register, Sharon and Kaori were looking at some art on the wall. They had 4 wood panel paintings depicting Vietnamese women in various scenes. They were just asking each other which one they liked best if you could pick only one. The guy at the cash register, who I assume at this point was probably the owner, told us to pick which one we liked and he'd give it to us. At first I thought my Japanese must have been really bad and had to ask him to repeat himself, but he was dead serious. He then proceeded to take 3 of the drawings off the wall for us to take home. Definitely a first and not a trip or a restaurant I'm likely to forget. Here's the drawing I ended up taking home with me.



I should have taken a picture with the owner that gave us the painting. Maybe we'll just have to pay him another visit the next time I'm in Japan.

No comments: