Saturday, September 17, 2011

Taiwan - Day 1

After a week in Japan for work, I took the 3 hour flight to Taiwan to visit some relatives. I met up with my mom, my sister and my niece who were flying in from the US. My mom and my sister arrived with my niece on Saturday morning. They rested at my Grandma's house for the morning before we headed out to a city called Zhong Li to visit my mom's two older sisters. My oldest Aunt lives in a fancy apartment complex. It has a little garden out front where we took some pictures with Maddy - looking baby fresh and super cute even after the 18 hour flight.


Maddy got to meet her great Aunt for the first time.



We went inside to chat for a little bit. Maddy got to meet my Aunt's dog. We thought she might be afraid of it, but the dog was actually more afraid of her. I think it had to do with the fact that she kept trying to pull his hair.



We also met up with my cousin Peter and his family. He has 2 boys, Mark and Neria. Maddy and Mark got along very well. I think Maddy was flirting with him a bit.



For dinner we met up with a few more family members - my mom's other sister and her husband.




This is my cousin peter and his dad.



My mom and my cousin Rebecca (Peter's sister).



Apparently this was the same restaurant that my Aunts and Uncle took my Grandma for mother's day this year. I didn't realize it at the time, but I think my Aunt ordered a 10 course meal. There was a lot of food... This was a salad with corn and some kind of sweet mayonnaise sauce. I know it probably doesn't sound good, but it was.



Braised beef in a sweet sauce.



Spicy soft shell crab deep fried.



Shrimp, which was also followed by a sweet and sour pork type dish, steamed fish, and a couple other dishes. Sorry, too much eating and not enough picture taking...



And just when I thought the food was done they came out with a giant pot of a tomato based stew/soup.



Peter's son, Neria, apparently loves food. He reminded me so much of Calvin and what he might be like in another year. It made me miss Calvin even more.




My uncle being weird...I think I bring out the silly in him. ^__^



It also happened to be Peter's wife, Mimi's, birthday. We celebrated with a cake that my Aunt bought from a nearby bakery.



The cake was so pretty. The gold flakes on the side of the cake were actually gold dusted white chocolate. Everybody's mouths were covered in gold after eating them.




The whole family.



Once we were done with dinner all of the kids started to get silly. Neria kept flashing us with his tummy.


The brothers, Mark and Neria. They were so cute, and they seemed to get along so well. If only Calvin could have been there to meet them! Maybe next time...


No comments: