Tuesday, May 25, 2010

California Day 1 - San Francisco

Phil and I headed out to San Francisco to meet up with his cousins for their annual cousin reunion. We planned on staying in San Francisco for a couple of days before driving out to Lake Tahoe. For our first few days we stayed at the Marriot Marquis.

His cousin, Lydia, who lives in the area had told us before hand that traffic might be bad because President Obama was supposed to be in the area for some event. We didn't really think anything of it until we got to our hotel, which was swarming with police officers both inside and outside, and there was a bomb squad car parked across the street! I'm not sure if I felt safer or more scared with all those police around...we had no proof, but we got the feeling that President Obama might be staying at our hotel.


The hotel was very nice. I think it's only a few years old. We got 2 beds to share with Phil's cousins.


The bathroom seemed pretty new too, but otherwise just your standard hotel bathroom.


After dropping off our luggage we went out to check out the area around the hotel and pick up some supplies. The hotel was nice and centrally located - lots of shops in the area and very close to the BART subway station. I stopped to take a picture of Phil looking all suave.


We went to the nearby Walgreens to pick up our supplies. We were surprised to find that the Walgreens had an entire aisle full of Asian snacks, and we weren't even in the Chinatown area. It almost felt like we were in the snack aisle of an Asian food market. They don't even have an Asian snack aisle in the Walgreens in New York Chinatown!


Before Phil and I headed out to San Leandro to meet up with some college friends of mine, we decided to grab some food. There was a Westfield mall not too far from the hotel too that had an amazing food court. Doesn't it look nice? It definitely had a more upscale feel to it.


They even had a gelato place that served gelato in giant balls. I've never seen gelato served like this before so I had to take a picture. The guy behind the counter was very nice and gave me a free sample when he saw me taking this picture. I think it was cookies and cream, and it was delicious! Too bad I never got a chance to go back and order any gelato...maybe next time.


Phil and I split some Korean BBQ beef and a giant bowl of clam chowder soup.


We had gone with 2 of Phil's cousins, Ray and Lucia, who are munching on some hot dogs and fries. Looks tasty!


I forgot to take pictures when we met up with my college friends. It was late...it was a long day of travelling...what can I say?...
When we got back to the hotel the police had closed off the entire street that the hotel was on, and when we tried to walk down the sidewalk to get to the hotel we were stopped by a police officer. We were only allowed to pass once we showed him our hotel keys. That, plus I think we passed some secret service people with those ear pieces in their ears, and we were really starting to think President Obama might actually be staying at our hotel...

No comments: